When some different chemicals mix they can bond together and change. This is called a chemical reaction. Some examples include burning wood, rusting metal, plants making oxygen through photosynthesis, and countless others!
Always have a parent or guardian help you while performing these experiments. Whenever dealing with chemicals always be sure to have your safety goggles on. Rubber gloves will also be helpful to make sure you do not spill any on your hands. You may want to put a disposable tablecloth down on your work area, or perform the experiment outside if it is nice enough.
1- 16oz Bottle (an empty water bottle will work perfect)
3 tablespoons water
½ cup of hydrogen peroxide (6% concentration)
1 tablespoons yeast
1 tablespoons dish soap
Food coloring (a few squirts will do)
1 small cup
What do you hypothesize (think) will happen when you mix the reagents?
1. Pour the water into your cup
2. Add the yeast into your cup and carefully stir it together, then set aside
3. Carefully add the hydrogen peroxide to your water bottle
4. Add the dish soap to your water bottle and give it a gentle swirl to mix up
5. When ready, quickly add the cup of water/yeast mixture to your water bottle and observe what happens!
What do you think will happen if you add more hydrogen peroxide to the mixture?
What do you think will happen if you add more water to the mixture?
What do you think will happen if you add more yeast to the mixture?
What do you think will happen if you add more dish soap to the mixture?
Can you think of any other questions and therefore experiments?